Galbraith, J. R. (1974). "Organization Design: An Information
Processing View." Interfaces, 4: 28-36.
- more uncertainty, more info process
- dependent on handling non-routine acts
- slack, self-contained, vertical, lateral,
Lawrence, P. and J. Lorsch (1967).
and Integration in Complex Organizations." Administrative Science
Quarterly, 12: 1-30.
- balance differentiation and integration
- simpler tasks more formal, function of exposure to environment
- organizational performance determined by ability to cope with environment
- each subsystem differentiates w.r.t their exposure to environment
In Support of Lawrence
& Lorsch -- exam question by Keith Rollag